Coat of arms


Coat of arms of the town of Rodgau

The description can be found in the award certificate from 1978:

  • in blue and in red a wavy silver diagonal bar, covered with five stars
  • accompanied at the top right* by a silver rose with silver sepals, covered with a red heart with a black cross on top (Luther rose)
  • accompanied at the bottom left* by a six-spoked silver (Mainz) wheel


Symbolism and historical background

Coat of arms of the town of Rodgau with Luther's rose on a blue background, a wheel on a red background and five stars.

The six-spoked wheel (taken from the coat of arms of the archbishops of Mainz) indicates that Kurmainz exercised territorial rights in all parts of the town from 1425, succeeding the Lords of Eppstein. Kurmainz rule generally lasted until secularisation at the beginning of the 19th century, in Dudenhofen it ended as early as the 17th century. As a result of the rule of the Counts of Hanau and, from 1736, the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt, Dudenhofen remained a Protestant-Lutheran enclave within the towns of Jügesheim, Nieder-Roden, Hainhausen and Weiskirchen, which remained Catholic. For this reason, the Luther rose is the counterpart to the wheel of Mainz in the coat of arms of the town of Rodgau. The "Rodau" stream flowing through the new municipality is symbolised by the wavy bar, while the five stars indicate the five districts located along the Rodau.

Note on the description

*In heraldry, information on placement is always given from the point of view of the bearer of the coat of arms, i.e. the observer behind the shield. The top view is therefore inverted for the description!

Use of the coat of arms

The use of the coat of arms of the city of Rodgau requires approval. The use of the municipal coat of arms is not subject to approval.

Information on the coats of arms of the former municipalities

An overview of all the coats of arms of the places from which the town of Rodgau was formed.


Weiskirchen

The coat of arms was awarded to the district of Weiskirchen in 1958. It shows:

Coat of arms of Weiskirchen as a blue shield with a white tower, red roof and four yellow wheels around it.
  • in blue on a golden ground a red-covered silver church tower with a golden cross
  • each of two floating golden mill wheels

The golden mill wheels refer to the mills that once existed, while the church tower symbolises the name of the parish.


Hainhausen

The coat of arms was granted to the district of Hainhausen in 1954. The coat of arms shows:

Coat of arms of Hainhausen with red castle on white, in it shield with red and white angles.
  • in heraldic stylisation the former moated castle to the right of the Rodau and south of the road to Weiskirchen

The moated castle was the ancestral seat of the Lords of Hainhausen, who have been mentioned since 1122. The dynasty of the von Eppstein family emerged from this family, whose chevron coat of arms was therefore included in the coat of arms of Hainhausen. The colours silver and red refer to the wheel coat of arms of the Archbishopric of Mainz, which came into possession of the village by purchase in 1425.


Jügesheim

The coat of arms was granted to the district of Jügesheim in 1955. The coat of arms shows:

Jügesmeimer coat of arms as a white shield with red deer antlers and green oak leaf with acorns.
  • in silver an upright green oak branch
  • each with a red deer pole.

Figures were chosen that allude to the former affiliation of Jügesheim to the Dreieich imperial forest and the area of its game reserve. Silver and red refer to the Mainz wheel coat of arms.


Dudenhofen

The coat of arms was awarded to the district of Dudenhofen in 1954. The coat of arms shows:

Dudenhöfer coat of arms with yellow and red angles and the Luther rose on a blue background
  • a transversely divided shield, the upper part of which shows three red chevrons in a yellow field as a reminder of the affiliation to the County of Hanau
  • in the lower field a silver five-petalled rose with a red heart and a black cross in the centre, the so-called Luther rose

The Luther rose symbolises the fact that Dudenhofen is the only predominantly Protestant town in the otherwise Catholic Rodgau.


Nieder-Roden

The coat of arms was granted to the district of Nieder-Roden in 1949. The coat of arms shows:

Coat of arms Niederroden as black shield with white tower, next to it two coats of arms in red and white, one with wheel the other with angles
  • a silver church tower in black
  • the church tower is accompanied by two small shields leaning towards the edges of the shield
  • therein on the right in silver three red chevrons
  • On the left in red a six-spoked silver wheel.

The shields refer to the local lordship of the Lords of Eppstein (rafters) and of Kurmainz (wheel) as the legal successors of the Lords of Eppstein until 1425. Between them stands the tower of the local church, which is of art-historical interest.

The settlement of Rollwald belongs to the district of Nieder-Roden and was never an independent municipality. This is why there was no coat of arms for Rollwald.